We all buy insurance – health insurance, there car insurance, patient homeowners insurance. However, sale do you really need to insure your next trip? There are plenty of reasons to buy travel insurance: What if you are snowed in on a layover? What if you have an accident while traveling overseas? Your trip is interrupted by a flood or a strike? What if you have to change your plans at the last minute because of illness or because your boss cancels your vacation?
You want to be prepared for any eventuality when you travel, and travel insurance is quite inexpensive when you consider the alternatives. Here are some tips on what to look for when shopping for the best travel insurance coverage:
- Trip cancellation coverage helps you get your money back if your trip is canceled for any number of reasons, such as natural disaster, illness, and work conflicts. Travel delay coverage – If you are stuck in transit, travel delay coverage can pay for meals and accommodations until you get back on the road.
- Medical expense – Most health insurance carriers won’t cover you when you leave home, so medical expense coverage makes up the difference.
- Medical evacuation – If you are in the jungle, on a mountain, or in a country with poor medical care, medical evacuation coverage can get you to the right doctor’s care.
- Non-medical evacuation – In the event of a tsunami or revolution, non-medical evacuation can get you out of harm’s way quickly.
- Baggage and personal effects – If your luggage is lost or stolen, baggage coverage can replace clothes, medicines, and anything else you might need.
- 24/7 assistance –It’s one thing to buy insurance before you leave, but when you really need assistance is when you want 24/7 support.
All this coverage should cost you no more than an additional 7 to 8 percent of the cost of your trip, although you can get much better coverage from online suppliers and save 40 percent or more.
Find a good comparison website that is licensed to sell insurance in all 50 states. When you buy buy travel insurance, chances are that you can save more and get better coverage for the money.
At TripInsurance.com, for example, we eliminate middlemen from the channel and pass the savings directly on to our customers. You can save 40 percent or more on comparable coverage, and we make it easy to find the right coverage for you.
Dan Skilken is President and CEO of TripInsurance.com, the online source for comprehensive, comprehensible, and affordable travel insurance.